We’re always working hard to keep children safe and as the weather has been so chilly lately and is forecast to be again, Mr SnowCone has come up with his top ten tips to keep you safe in the cold weather.
- Always wear suitable footwear, make sure you have good grips on boots or wellies for the snow!
- Wear warm clothing, including lots of layers. The more comfortable you are, the less likely you are to be distracted and can concentrate on your surroundings. We love woolly hats!
- Make sure your scarf is kept short so you can’t trip over it.
- Wear something Hi-vis and your Conies snap band so you can be seen in bad weather or on dark evenings.
- Cross at traffic lights and zebra crossings especially in bad weather where drivers may have limited visibility. At least if they can’t see you clearly then they can see the lights
- Walk towards the traffic and away from the kerb
- Stay close to your trusted adult and hold hands
- Never use your bike, skateboard or scooter in the snow or on icy pavements
- Never slide on the pavement as it makes it more slippy and dangerous for other children and adults.
- Never, ever walk on frozen lakes or ponds, you don’t know how thick the ice is.
Snow can be really good fun, if you make sure you stay warm and safe.